Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Covers: The "All Along The Watchtower" Playlist

I listen to too much music to have a favorite song, but if I was forced to pick one, the Jimi Hendrix cover of "All Along the Watchtower would be a definite contender. Dylan writing and Hendrix performing might be the greatest collaboration to have ever existed in the music industry. I went through iMeem and dug up the best covers of the song, and here's the top six: Dylan, Hendrix, Paul Weller, The Fratellis, Eric Clapton and Lenny Kravitz, and U2. There are plenty of other brilliant covers out there, but right now I'm just working with the best of what's available.

2 comments:

Stang said...

There was an orchestral arrangement of this song at the start of the movie "Expelled" that was intriguing. I was there with my wife, brother, and sister-in-law, and after a few notes of this song being played on a violin, I immediately turned and looked at my brother sitting 4 seats away. We just both smiled in our recognition of the tune, even though played in a way never heard before by either of us.

Love the way you display your excellent choices for this song.

Stang

Stang said...

By the way, I've got to figure out how you embedded this. Cool!